1. In many countries, people have more health problems because they choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle. What do you think are the reasons for this and how can it be solved? Give relevant examples from your experience.
2. Nowadays consumer goods have become the most important part of people’s lives. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
3. Some people say that protecting the environment is the government’s responsibility. Others believe that every individual should take responsibility for it. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
4. Some people are fond of buying new gadgets, phones, or laptops. Is this a good or bad thing? Discuss your opinion.
5. Some people believe that if people are allowed to work after the age of 60, it could cause problems. Do you agree or disagree?
6. Some parents think children should have mobile phones, others disagree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
7. Some people think that schools should select students according to their academic abilities. Others believe that it is better to have students with different abilities study together. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
8. Countries with a long average working time are more economically successful than those countries which do not have a long working time. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
9. Nowadays, people of all ages from certain parts of the world spend most time at home rather than going outdoors. Discuss the reasons, is this negative or positive development?
10. With the development of technology and science, some people believe that there is no great value of artists such as musicians and painters. What are the things artists can do but the scientist cannot? Should art be encouraged more?
11. Some people think that job satisfaction is more important than job security. Others think that people cannot expect to enjoy a job and having a permanent job is more important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
12. Many educators believe that international exchange trips are beneficial for students. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and include any relevant examples from your own experience.
13. Nowadays, some parents pressure their children to be successful in a specific field. What are the reasons for this? Is it a positive or negative development?
14. Most scientific inventions and discoveries are worthless and only waste time and money resources. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion.
15. Some people think that money is the best gift for teenagers. Others disagree. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
16. Some people think that the Olympics is no longer important in the 21st century. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
17. These days many children spend a lot of their time playing computer games but little time doing sports. Why is this? Is this a negative or positive development?
18. In some countries people who visit art galleries are reducing. What are the reasons for this? How can this problem be solved?
19. Why do students prefer doing part time jobs during their studies? Do you think this has more advantages or disadvantages?
20. In many countries, women and men are working full-time. It is therefore, logical for women and men to share household chores. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give relevant examples.
21. Although parents are responsible for raising a child, outside influences play a key role in their development. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your own opinion.
22. Some people believe that people who do physical work should be paid on par with the people who have high level degree. Do you agree or disagree?
23. Some people think that secondary or high school students should be taught how to use money management as it is an important life skill. Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
24. In many countries, people buy clothes and choose hair styles according to the latest fashion. Why is this happening? Is this a positive or a negative development?
25. Shopping is now one of the most popular forms of leisure activity in many countries for young adults. What do you think is the reason for this? Is this a positive or negative development?
26. In many countries, people are living in a “throwaway society” where things are used for a short time and thrown away. What are the causes of this and what problems does it lead to?
27. In some countries, people follow the latest fashion and hairstyles. In your opinion, what is influencing this? Do you think this is a positive or a negative development?
28. In some countries, children under 16 years old are not allowed to leave school by law and get full-time work. Is this a good or bad thing? Discuss your opinion.
29. Nowadays, people have adopted an unhealthy lifestyle. Why do think this is? How could this problem be solved?
30. Some young people are leaving the countryside to live in cities and towns, leaving only old people in the countryside. Why do think this is? Do you think this is a positive or a negative development?
31. Some people think that zoos are cruel and that all zoos should be closed. However, others think that zoos are useful for protecting rare animals. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
32. Nowadays newspapers publish information about the private lives of individuals. Some people think the government should maintain certain control over the information that gets published, while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
33. Culture and traditions change from generation to generation. Why does this happen? What can be done to change it?
34. Food travels thousands of miles from producers to consumers. Some people think that it would be better for the environment and economy if people ate only the local food produced by farmers. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
35. Advertising is influencing people more and more. Is this a positive or a negative trend? Give your own opinion and examples.
36. Nowadays museums and historical sites are visited mainly by foreign tourists rather than by locals. Why is this happening? What can be done to get locals to visit museums and historical sites more often?
37. Many sports players advertise sports-related products. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
38. Governments and big companies should work together to reverse environmental damage, rather than expecting individuals to take responsibility. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and relevant examples.
39. Government should spend money to encourage the development of sport and art for school students, rather than supporting professional sports and art performances for the general public. Do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion.
40. Some parents believe that reading books for entertainment is a waste of children’s time. They think that their children should read only serious educational books. What is your opinion?